- Dot plots consist of a number line with each individual datapoint listed as a dot above it’s value. If multiple data points have the same value, they are placed in a column.
- Stem plots are useful for displaying small to medium sized datasets.
- The leading term for each value is referred to as a stem and is placed on the left side of a vertical line.
- The following terms in each value are referred to as the leaf and are placed to the right of the line.
- Multiple data points can share a common stem, but each leaf must represent only one datapoint.
Note: you may also see stem plots referred to as stem and leaf plots.Read More »1.4 Displaying Numerical Data